Director of Engineering
The Director of Engineering will report to the SVP of Operations and will lead/supervise a team of engineers as they design and estimate electronic security solutions. The Director of Engineering will drive the success of the department by working cross-functionally with customer support, internal and external IT groups, customers, sales representatives, account managers, field operations personnel, subcontractors and suppliers to ensure timely and efficient completion of projects and other enterprise level technical initiatives.
The core responsibilities of the Director of Engineering include:
- Developing and executing a business plan focused on the engineering team’s objectives and related processes.
- Assisting in the development of standard operating procedures, policies, best practices, and performance metric, bringing an engineering leadership perspective.
- Building and managing a team of Sales Engineers by:
- Establishing standards and managing associated performance
- Directing, prioritizing and balancing the activities of the engineering team,
- Providing day-to-day oversight, guidance, and problem resolution,
- Setting a team cadence for installation reviews
- Promoting individual and team growth
- Building and driving a communication plan with both internal and external parties
- Being a ‘team-first’ employee and building a ‘team-first’ culture that supports the company’s core values
- Leading the recruiting effort for your department; working with the Director of People and Culture to identify and place employees to meet goals; managing performance, rewarding or administering progressive discipline, as appropriate.
- Success for the Director of Engineering role is measured by:
- Either directly or through delegation – initiating, planning, executing, monitoring, and completing engineering designs with a focus on deliverables that put the operations team in a position to complete projects on time, on budget, within scope, and with a high level of customer satisfaction.
- Performing After Action Reviews to insure improvement in process and design.
- Proactively communicating with customers and team members.
- Developing tools and processes to increase the efficiency and accuracy of designs and estimates.
- Prioritizing engineering backlog and project deadlines effectively.
- Delivering an engineered design with sufficient detail to communicate scope and construction requirements.
- Producing engineered design plans that are 100% accurate as measured by estimated vs actual equipment and labor variances.
- A positive and collaborative style.
The Director of Engineering will lead, supervise, and direct the activities of a team of engineers.
Supporting the life-cycle of installation projects from design to commissioning through the management of a team of engineers and their activities. Assisting the sales team during planning, estimating, and design phases for new and existing customers. Developing and maintaining survey, site design, and estimating tools in support of the sales and installation effort. Assisting the team during installation, start-up, commissioning, and turnover of projects. Either directly or through delegation –
- Preparing cost estimates by studying blueprints, plans, and related customer documents.
- Performing pre-design walk-throughs and consulting with sales representatives, account managers, project managers, and other professional and technical personnel.
- Acting as a primary technical resource to the EWS team.
- Developing effective, executable design plans for the operations team.
- Analyzes plans, customer specifications, and site surveys to determine project requirements.
- Participates in pre-bid reviews and sales survey process to assist in the development of preliminary designs, where appropriate.
- Fully develop project designs and supporting documentation for proposal creation and presentation
- Meet engineering deadlines for all assigned projects.
- Ensure that all project documentation is completed accurately and on time for initial kick-off meeting.
- Lead the sales to operations kick-off meetings to accurately convey project scope, equipment and labor budgets, and site designs.
- Catalog equipment, labor, and subcontractor costs across multiple regions to drive accurate estimates.
- Work to continuously improve engineering processes, methods, templates, etc.
- Comply with and support all corporate and departmental policies and procedures.
- Develop and maintain site survey tools and plan of action, sales estimating platform and operations site design plan templates.
- Post-Secondary education or commensurate work experience required. Additional formal training and certifications in related fields is a strong plus.
- A+ Certification and Microsoft certification a strong plus.
- Three years of experience in engineering management.
- History of developing and/or implementing engineering tools, software systems, and processes highly desirable.
- Five years of experience in engineering, installing, programming, and/or servicing large, complex IP Video Surveillance Systems in a commercial and industrial setting is essential; Intrusion and Access Control is a plus.
- Proficient in IP video, analog cameras, and encoders (i.e. Hikvision, UDP, Axis, ACTi, Samsung).
- Proficient in Video Management Systems and software (i.e. Exacq, Avigilon, Geovision, Luxriot).
- Proficient in IP based hardware, concepts and architecture including TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, Gateways, routers, WAPs, switches, small footprint PDUs, fiber optics, and UPS systems.
- Proficient in the use and applications of Access Control Servers, Video Servers, DVRs, NVRs.
- Proficient in audio systems and amplifiers.
- Proficient in cabling and termination of CAT5e/6, RG6, RG59.
- Basic understanding of network concepts and architectures; Experience with TCP/IP and wireless networking.
- Extensive knowledge of DOS (telnet, tracert, ping, Ipconfig) and Windows.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, diagrams, submittals, specifications, software/systems programs, schematics, and operational/product manuals.
- Ability to work extended hours, alternate shifts, evenings, weekends, holidays and be on call to meet customer requirements.
- Ability to travel as necessary.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain all licenses required by national, state, and local codes.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have Intermediate to Advanced level proficiency for Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio, ACAD, and email, and be proficient on various Video Management Software programs. Project Management software, Salesforce.com and other ticket tracking systems a plus.
- Strong organizational skills, detail-oriented; ability to multi-task.
- Ability to manage people with a collaborative style.
- Ability to adapt to changes in the work environment, manage competing demands, and deal with change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner; gather and analyze information skillfully.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Can effectively translate business needs to technology requirements.
- Candidate must have a clean driving record and pass a background investigation — no criminal records. Must be in good health and able to work in both office and outside environments. Ability to lift equipment and tools up to 50lbs. Able to perform work in unusual and sometimes difficult positions such as climbing ladders, scaffolding and high lift equipment, working above ceilings, etc.
- Compensation: Competitive salary plus significant bonus opportunities, health, dental, and vision benefits, paid vacation, company provided computer, vehicle, and cell phone.
How to Apply
Interested? Send an email to email@example.com. In addition to your resumé, write about who you are, what position you’re interested in, and why.